Re: How about NUMA?

On 2009-07-08 22:49, lee wrote:
Hi,

under what circumstances are you supposed to turn on NUMA support in
the kernel settings? I've googled about that and learned what NUMA is
about while trying to answer the question wheather I should enable it
in my kernel or not. But I couldn't find the answer I was looking for.

Do Intel DualCores (E8400) support NUMA?

No.  All cores access the same RAM over the same paths.

                                          Do you need special hardware,
like a special mainboard supporting NUMA, to benefit from this
feature?

Yes. Really expensive server-oriented multi-*socket* boards with DIMM slots for each CPU socket.

         Do these CPUs support NUMA? It seems to me that leaving it
disabled is better in my case, and the kernel help also says that it's
probably better not to enable it if you don't have more than two
CPUs/cores.

Now if I had a quad core CPU instead, would I better enable NUMA? Or
if I had an AMD instead of Intel, would I turn it on? Or should I
leave it turned on?

You still only have 1 CPU chip, so NUMA is irrelevant.

--
Scooty Puff, Sr
The Doom-Bringer