Re: SATA DVD/CD-RW still NOT resolved: Please help!!

On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 10:13:18AM +0100, AG wrote:
> [    5.241216] sr 1:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0
> [    5.279572] sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0
> [    5.279572] sr 1:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 5

What happens when you disable generic SCSI? You don't need it for a
DVD/CD drive or SATA disks.

That the drive itself is troublesome is a possibility I would not
exclude. Letting aside that SATA is extremely unreliable, there are
different drives that can have different features and different
firmware. You might have one that just doesn't work well. Perhaps
there's a firmware update available?

Many years ago I had two SCSI CDROMs, same model, same
manufacturer. One worked fine, the other one more or less worked but
couldn't do some things the other one could. --- I have two Maxtor
SATA disks, bought three years ago new. One of them was losing
connection to the controller so that I had to turn off the computer
and turn it back on to get the disk back. I finally replaced them
because the problem got worse. I saved my data on the new disks. That
allowed me to play around with the Maxtor disks and to update the
firmware. Maybe they work now, maybe not --- it'll take a while before
I can tell, but since the firmware update, none of them lost
connection.