RE: a tool that can recover partially formatted ext3 FS.

If you are trying to fix the drive or restore it, I have not ever had
any luck doing that. However, I have used testdisk to recover a file on
a drive that had been accidently wiped. It does have partition recovery,
but I have not had a high success rate with partitions, just files.

A google search brings up this article if you are interested.
http://www.linux.com/news/enterprise/storage/8257-how-to-recover-lost-fi
les-after-you-accidentally-wipe-your-hard-drive

BTW, the disk that was wiped in my case was a well used 60GB drive. The
disk I used to recover the files to (since you don't want to over write
the current drive) was a 500GB hard drive. It "recovered" over 450GB of
stuff due to "recovering" deleted files/indexes. So make sure you have a
big drive and plenty of time to sort through it. I did get the important
file and a few other files, but it took a long time.

Hope this helps!
~S~