Re: Is a Universal Desktop Experience possible?

On Fri, 2009-07-10 at 16:24 -0700, SteveM wrote:
> Fellow Debians,
>
> I have seven systems scattered around the house.  I thought a NFS and a
> shared /home would solve my file sharing problems but it doesn't help
> with desktop app configs.
>
> What I'd like is a Universal Desktop Experience, i.e. same kicker applets,
> same konsole profiles, same amarok playlists, same xpad postits, etc,
> whereever I login.  I'm a KDE type, but afaict the issue affects all
> DE's.
>
> My goal doesn't seem unreasonable and I expect others share it.  If that
> group includes you, what's your solution?  Is there a non-web-based UDE?
>
> thanks,
> steve

If I recall correctly the original "StarOffice" did this but was
somewhat slow. After Sun bought them out and broke it up into the
various parts of OpenOfficeOrg the desltop was discontinued. It may
still be available from Sun. Don't know for sure, just a suggestion.
FWIW: I always kind of liked it for just the reason you broached.
Good Luck!

--
John Foster