Re: grub won't but XP

On 2009-07-11_18:14:48, Bernard Fay wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a dual boot system divided between Windows XP and Lenny.
>
> Lenny is the king of my computer.  But sometimes I still need to use
> Windows.
>
> Since I setup Lenny on my box, grub does not boot Windows XP.
> I have a hard time to find out why.
>
> Here is what we can find in menu.lst regarding Windows :
>
> title        Windows XP
> rootnoverify    (hd2,0)
> chainloader    +1
> makeactive
>

> When I try to load Windows, I have the following on screen:
>
>   Booting 'Windows XP'
>
> rootnoverify    (hd2,0)
> chainloader    +1
> makeactive
>

> It hangs there and do nothing.  Does someone can tell if something is wrong
> in my configuration of grub.
> I provided below my full grub configuration.
>
> ### menu.lst ###
> default         0
>
> timeout         5
>
> color cyan/blue white/blue
>
> title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.26-2-686
> root            (hd0,0)
> kernel          /vmlinuz-2.6.26-2-686 root=/dev/mapper/lnxvg-rootlv ro
> initrd          /initrd.img-2.6.26-2-686
>
> title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.26-2-686 (single-user mode)
> root            (hd0,0)
> kernel          /vmlinuz-2.6.26-2-686 root=/dev/mapper/lnxvg-rootlv ro
> single
> initrd          /initrd.img-2.6.26-2-686
>
> title           Windows XP
> rootnoverify    (hd2,0)
> chainloader     +1
> makeactive
>
> ### end menu.lst ###
>

> Thanks a lot,
> Bernard

I'm not a expert on Windows, but I have succeeded several times in
setting up dual boot, Lenny - XP recently.

Something puzzles me about your situation-- In all my setups Windows
was already there and it occupied TWO partitions.  One was titled
Windows Vista/Longhorn (loader). The second was titled Microsoft
Windows XP Home Edition. These were already on the HD before I started
installing Lenny and they were in the first two partitions, namely
(hd0,0) and (hd0,1). When I added Lenny, the installer guided me to
installing it in (hd0,2). How did you get Lenny to be the first
partition? I think you should boot from a live CD and examine your HD
with cfdisk. Is your Lenny really the first partition on the HD?

If you actually have two partitions of Windows stuff, you should set
up your grub to enable booting from either of them. The Longhorn
partition is a crash recovery thingy, which I hope you never have to
use, but...

And maybe I'm just off-the-wall crazy wrong...
HTH
--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net