Re: Is a Universal Desktop Experience possible?

On Saturday 11 July 2009, Rob Owens wrote:
> I typically use Fluxbox and Gnome (and a little LXDE).  I haven't used
> KDE in years, so I can't comment on it specifically.
>
> I also haven't NFS mounted /home in quite a while.  I remember when I
> did it that different versions of Gnome caused me grief.
>
> I don't really have display problems with LTSP.  My smallest thin
> client has a 12" screen, and the largest is 18".  The only thing that
> gets screwed up, that I've noticed, is if the screen is too small to
> fit something that was set up on another screen.  For instance, the
> Gnome panel with lots of launchers.  That was only a problem when one
> of my screens was defaulting to 800x600 resolution, so there wasn't
> very much space on it.
Suggesting another DE is sort like suggesting I speak another language.
I've got 5+ years invested in understanding the crap pile that is KDE.
Better the devil I know.

> Regarding the lockout problem you mentioned, are you logged in on
> multiple computers at the same time as the same user?  There are a few
> apps I know of that do not like that.  Firefox/Iceweasel for one, and I
> think OpenOffice as well.
Yes, that's my intention and yes, many apps resist this, KDE itself being
the real thorn in my side.  I might try again watching for version
mismatch.