Re: dmesg and root-tail

On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 02:32:59PM EDT, lee wrote:

> The "tail -f" waits for more output from dmesg, but dmesg won't
> produce any more output. dmesg is supposed to print the contents of
> the kernel buffer; it does exactly that and then ends. It also doesn't
> have an option like -f to tell it to "keep printing" ...

Not sure why the OP wants to use dmesg - on my run-of-the-mill lenny
system nothing appears to be written to the kernel ring buffer after
booting anyway - and that's after issuing a "dmesg -n 8" to try to raise
the logging level (at least that's what I'm guessing after reading the
dmesg man page).

Maybe he could tell us what he wants to achieve?

In most circumstances, the contents of /var/log/{messages|syslog} would
seem to be more appropriate if all he wants is to keep an eye on system
activity.

?

Note that one feature of "less" that I have found to be useful is that
it can be caused to refresh the display automatically via the Shift-f
command.

Hit Ctrl-C to leave update mode and then you can page up to check what
went down previously.

CJ