Re: Video compression

On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 10:23:11AM -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
> How can I compress a short video clip - 88 M in qt format - into
> to a size that can be emailed?

You could try avidemux.  I think it's in the debian-multimedia repo.  I'm not positive that it can import qt format, though.

Some tricks to reduce the filesize:

resize the video
reduce the framerate
reduce the audio bitrate (or remove it completely if it's not important)
experiment with different video codecs.  I kind of like xvid.

If you want to use a command-line utility, you could try mencoder, ffmpeg,
or ffmpeg2theora.  I'm not enough of an expert to give you a good "recipe",
though.

-Rob