Re: No audio after recent upgrade

On Friday 10 July 2009, Kent West wrote:
> Andrei Popescu wrote:
> > On Thu,09.Jul.09, 14:31:13, Kent West wrote:
> >> It's a third machine of mine, so I haven't worried about it; I've got
> >> other things to worry about. But thought I'd mention it, just for the
> >> record.
> >
> > This might be a different issue. Make sure you have phonon-backend-xine
> > installed and phonon-backend-gstreamer NOT. See if that fixes is for
> > you.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Andrei
>
> Nope; made no difference. (..gstreamer was installed; when i purged it,
> it offered to install ..xine which I allowed.)
>

> Thanks anyway.
>
> --
> Kent West <")))><
> http://kentwest.blogspot.com

Does "cat anykind-of-wav-file > /dev/audio" or
"cat anykind-of-wav-file > /dev/dsp"
give any output? That will usually output just noise.

If there is nothing, not even noise, the device seems to be configured all right. Just the volume is turned completely down. The weird thing is that even if alsamixer has everything unmuted and the volume turned up there is still no output.

If you move your mouse do you hear noise on the audio output or is it completely quiet?
If noise, then the devices are not configured.
If complete silence then it is a volume problem.
Unfortunately I don't know of any solution for the latter problem.

Stay tuned ;-)
Eike