Re: system taking ages to resolve dns

Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Sun, Jul 05, 2009 at 22:03:39 +1000, Daniel Dalton wrote:
Hi,

I just reinstalled debian this week. It has not solved my issue of resolving dns taking a long time. Basically the issue is: If I want to access a dns such as google, or debian.org, it takes for ever to resolve the dns. Whether I'm using firefox or lynx to browse the web or msmtp to send email, the resolving of dns is over 30 seconds. If I use the ip address though, access is almost instant. So what can I do to solve this problem? Only occuring on my debian system, windows vista on the same system works fine, and no one else on the network seems to have issues like these. The issue started happening when I got my new dsl2 modem (netgear, nb5). As I said I did a reinstall, and with the base system and testing with lynx, I found the problem pretty much the same. So how can I speed up dns resolution?

Do you see any difference in the response time for the following two
queries?

dig -t A debian.org

dig -t AAAA debian.org

Florian, I get the following (edited) results:

hugo@debian:~$ dig -t AAAA debian.org Query time: 130 msec
hugo@debian:~$ dig -t AAAA debian.org Query time: 127 msec
hugo@debian:~$ dig -t AAAA debian.org Query time: 129 msec
hugo@debian:~$ dig -t AAAA debian.org Query time: 147 msec
hugo@debian:~$ dig -t AAAA debian.org Query time: 135 msec
hugo@debian:~$ dig -t AAAA debian.org Query time: 129 msec
hugo@debian:~$ dig -t AAAA debian.org Query time: 145 msec
                                          average 134.5
hugo@debian:~$ dig -t A debian.org Query time: 151 msec
hugo@debian:~$ dig -t A debian.org Query time: 177 msec
hugo@debian:~$ dig -t A debian.org Query time: 150 msec
hugo@debian:~$ dig -t A debian.org Query time: 152 msec
                                       average 157.5

so dig -t AAAA debian.org is on the average 157.5-134.5=23 ms faster.

What does that mean?

Hugo