barriers ...

Hi,

I'm seeing the message "JBD: barrier-based sync failed on md127p1:8 -
disabling barriers" since I got new disks. I found an explanation to
what that is supposed to mean:
http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-390@vm.marist.edu/msg33117.html

What I don't understand is the designation of the storage device:
"md127p1:8". I do have /dev/md127p1 which is the partition on the
partitionalbe RAID-1 on the new disks (It should have been named
"data", but for unknown reasons that got ignored.).

But what is ":8"? There's only one partition (with ext4 on it), only
one RAID-1.

BTW, how's the impact on performance when barriers are disabled?