Re: how can i limit system resources for a particular process?

Hi,

maybe you should take a look at the cpulimit package.

greetings,
vitaminx

2009/7/2 Jordi Moles Blanco <jordi@cdmon.com>
hi everyone,

let's say i want to create an .img file of 50GB with "dd" command. After that, i will give it a format with mkfs.ext3.

The problem is that while "dd" is running I'm not able to do anything else on the machine, not even ssh in, it just consumes all the available resources, and as I'm creating a 50GB image, i can't access the machine for several minutes.

I've tried to use "nice" command, giving the "dd" process the lowest possible priority, 19. The thing is that the whole thing performs better, i can establish ssh connection. However, i can't do much when I'm in it, everything is so slow.

I've also read some documentation about "limit/ulimit" command, but i fail to see how i can use it successfully for this matter.

I would like to run dd and let it use, for example, only 10% of the CPU time or 30% of the total amount of memory. Is that possible?  I'm not looking for a "general" process limit for the whole system, only for a particular process.

Thanks in advance for your help.