Lenny hangs on "Activating Swap"

The subject line says it all.  Just did a clean install of Lenny 5.0.2,had had several successful reboots and shutdowns and then tonight from a cold start it hung at "Activating Swap".  Before this happened, I had connected an NTFS drive (using NTFS-3g package) via USB and copied over 60 GB of data to my home partition on /dev/hda.  Unmounted the drive, shut down the computer with no errors.  10 minutes later went to start cold and it hung.

Any ideas?  Does Lenny still want that

Thanks,
Mark