Re: Gmail filtering. NOT OT

On Mon, 2009-06-29 at 23:18 -0700, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
> John W Foster wrote:
> > I need to know how to keep gmail/ or maybe my own mailing list setting,
> > from filtering out replys to posting on debian user and other debian
> > lists.
> > scenario:
> > When I post an answer or a questions to this list or any debian list. I
> > do not recieve the replies that are sent to my mailbox at gmail.com.
> > Most or all of the other messages/posts do come thru. Seems that
> > something is filtering out anything with my name as the sender or
> > something. Not sure if this is explained prpoerly but if you have a
> > gmail account maybe you can reply. FWIW: if you do not hit reply all to
> > this I will never see the response. That is exactly the problem.
> > Thanks!
>

> In gmail you have a folder named "All Mail" use it and you will see your
> replies, after all they are Sent Mail and that is how gmail handles it.
Spot on; I deleted all of the messages in Sent and the problem cleared
up. As you can see there were the usual number of replies. However I did
get them all in my Evolution download after deleting all of my old sent
messages. I sent a test message to Gmail and indeed it is in sent, and
all mail, so I would never get it in a download. I really don't want to
mess with 'fetchmail, mutt, or any of the other possible means of
solving this if I can locate a way to do what I want. I also don't want
to move my mail to another host as I have it set up to way too many of
my customers. I may try what Leisi suggested by changing my SMTP host
tomy ISP. That actually seems to be the easiest answer.

> --
> Jimmy Johnson
>
> Bakersfield, CA. U.S.A.
> Registered Linux User #380263
> K.I.S.S. (Keep it simple stupid)

I did a lot of research on this over the last couple of days. I read
virtually everything on gmail's help system & have determined that the
issue is actually with them and the process of using "Lables" instead of
folders as ways of sorting out mail. I don't usually use the gmail web
interface, I normally have evolution download, filter, etc. the mail
from several hosts. But I want to be able to access the gmail web
interface & use it when traveling or from my phone. Since you were the
only person to supply a real tip to resolving this, I was wondering if
you might know the answer to either of these questions.
1. Any way to get the gmail system to leave or put everything in the
Inbox? Their "HELP" offers nothing regarding this.
2. Any way to tell evolution to download & delete what's in the All Mail
label I have never tried to tell any mail app which folder to download
from, not sure if it's possible.

Thanks to all who supplied any possible means of fixing this.

--
John Foster