Ctrl+Ret in Terminals

Dear Debian Users,

This is a generic question, not Debian-specific.

One of my friends uses org-mode in GNU Emacs, and loves it. Now, the
issue is that one of the functions in org-mode is bound (by default)
to C-RET (Ctrl+Enter), which works fine on the X11 Emacs. However,
none of the terminals seem to pick it up, and just seem to take
Ctrl+Enter as a mere Enter press. From a not-cursory internet search,
I got mixed responses, some ranging from it's not possible to detect
Ctrl+Enter on terminals to it's possible but I don't know. So, I was
hoping that some users on this list would know if it is possible to
use C-RET in the terminals, or whether we have to resort binding the
key to something else in Emacs.

Thanks a lot!

Kumar
--