Re: How do you get aptitude to do what you want?

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 01:13:38PM -0600, lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> was heard to say:
> I'm trying to upgrade my testing installation, but aptitude keeps yelp
> in its current state, claiming that upgrading yelp would break a
> dependency with gman. But gman is not even installed.

  Do you mean the output from "full-upgrade"?  I would guess that gman
is being pulled in by some other upgrade and yelp is affected somehow,
but I don't really have enough information to figure out what's
happening.

> When I mark yelp as upgradeable, it says that it would break
> scrollkeeper.

  Because yelp declares this in its control file.  You need to upgrade
scrollkeeper to something above 0.7.

> So I tell it to purge scrollkeeper, but it again says it
> breaks some dependencies:

  Half of Gnome needs scrollkeeper, apparently.

>   * gnome-applets-data depends on scrollkeeper (provided by rarian-compat 0.8.1-2, rarian-compat 0.8.1-1)
>   * gnome-panel-data depends on scrollkeeper (provided by rarian-compat 0.8.1-2, rarian-compat 0.8.1-1)
>   * gnome-system-monitor depends on scrollkeeper (provided by rarian-compat 0.8.1-2, rarian-compat 0.8.1-1)
>   * gnome-user-guide depends on scrollkeeper (provided by rarian-compat 0.8.1-2, rarian-compat 0.8.1-1)
>   * synaptic depends on scrollkeeper (provided by rarian-compat 0.8.1-2, rarian-compat 0.8.1-1)
>

> Now I don't need those packages, but when I mark them to be purged and
> press g, aptitude says it wants to install rarian-compat and to keep
> above packages, except for synaptic, at their current state.

  Probably the alternative is to remove Gnome and aptitude is trying to
avoid that.

> Now when
> looking at the list what it is going to do, it doesn't say it will
> keep these packages in their current states. Instead, it will remove
> scrollkeeper, ugrade 66 packages (including yelp) and install 3 new
> ones to satisfy dependencies.

  It sounds like you still had unresolved dependencies when you pressed
"g".  aptitude will automatically pick whatever the most recently
calculated dependency resolution was when you do that.  You can disable
this behavior by setting Aptitude::Auto-Fix-Broken to "false" if you
prefer to resolve everything by hand.

  Daniel