Re: etch-to-lenny upgrade problem...

Rich Griffiths wrote:
On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 02:20:17 +0200, Steve Witt wrote:

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009, Adriano Trentini wrote:

Hi.
I'm not professional. I have Lenny installed in a AMD Duron. Why to
upgrade etch if you can simply install Lenny?

You won't have to answer all those setup questions (keyboard type, locale, timezone, etc.). If you are using X and a desktop (Gnome, KDE, etc.), your email will still be set up, with all your mail and folders in place. Your bookmarks will still be installed and working. Basically, your home directory will have all the data and configuration files as you left them -- you won't have to reconfigure email, your browser, your word processor, etc.

You can use one of the many Live CD's and delete you system files before the install and then install without formating, it works a charm. :)

Mepis has this option as part of the installer, even if /home is not on a separate partition, works a treat.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Bakersfield, CA. U.S.A.
Registered Linux User #380263