From: Mark Marcacci <mamarcac@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 6:03 PM
Subject: Re: Debian 5.0.2 network manager not working?
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

Well, apparently Network Manager isn't the problem since I installed wicd and it says "No wireless networks found" (even after removing LAN line, rebooting, etc).  Have done a ton of researching, editing different files such as /etc/network/interfaces, but nothing seems to get my wireless card to sniff out signals no matter what I do.

I'm at a loss, can anyone help?  Again my system info is a Broadcom BCM4306 wifi card on a Dell Inspiron 8600 with a fresh install of Lenny.  I had the wifi working without hardly any effort with 5.0.1 but now with 5.0.2 it won't "wake up" so to speak and sniff out wireless networks.  iwconfig shows this:

wlan0     IEEE 802.11  ESSID:""
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412 GHz  Access Point: Not-Associated
          Tx-Power=20 dBm
          Retry min limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr=2352 B
          Encryption key:off
          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

Thanks,
Mark

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 2:32 PM, Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon,29.Jun.09, 14:02:38, Mark Marcacci wrote:

> Is wicd more widely used?

I don't know, but for me it Just Works. I also installed it on my
mothers laptop (lenny) from backports and had no issues with it.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)