Re: Gmail filtering. NOT OT

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 06:51:54PM -0500, John W Foster wrote:
> I need to know how to keep gmail/ or maybe my own mailing list setting,
> from filtering out replys to posting on debian user and other debian
> lists.
> scenario:
> When I post an answer or a questions to this list or any debian list. I
> do not recieve the replies that are sent to my mailbox at gmail.com.
> Most or all of the other messages/posts do come thru. Seems that
> something is filtering out anything with my name as the sender or
> something. Not sure if this is explained prpoerly but if you have a
> gmail account maybe you can reply. FWIW: if you do not hit reply all to
> this I will never see the response. That is exactly the problem.
> Thanks!
> --
> John Foster

I forget exactly why it happens but it is gmails fault.  I would bet that
if you were to look in your gmail web account you would see the message
properly filtered.  I used to use IMAP and filtered everything with gmails
labels which made gmail work as expected.  I have since dropped IMAP for
POP and I'm back in the same boat.  I don't see my replies to the list,
nor do I see new messages I send to any list where you would expect to see
your bounced message.

I read on I think mutt-users that gmx.com handles mail much better.
However setting up exim4 to work properly with their server has eluded me and
I really enjoy how well gmail is handling spam.  Depending on your MUA I
believe there are a few workarounds with hooks.  I have no idea what you
can pull together with Evolution.

--
Daryl Styrk
Naples FL, USA