Trouble installing Lenny/KDE

hello folks,   I'm having some trouble installing lenny 5.01 AMD 64.
The graphical installer installed the system with KDE and it seems to
want to boot, but the monitor stops and says the signal is out of range.
I would like to find out if the Sapphire ATI HD4670 graphics card was
detected and the fglrx driver was installed. There is an empty
fglrx-install.log file at the root. This may be because I tried to
install it with the ATI automated installer but that failed twice for
different reasons. I'm wondering in the rescue mode where I can navigate
to and see if the fglrx dpkg was installed. If the dpkg is on the lenny
install dvd's I should be able to install it in rescue mode, right? Any
help is appreciated. I'm determined to get a working installation.

Asus M2N-E motherboard with Nvidia Nforce 570 Ultra chipset.
Graphics card is in the PCIe 16x slot at 16x.
sata hd and dvd writer.

Thanks,
Bill Manley