virt-manager only runs at 800x600

Google has failed me, freenode #kvm refered me to OFTC #virt and they
say it is an X thing.  I can only get a kvm machine with debian stable
at a resolution of 800x600

xrandr --query reports
Screen 0: minimum 640 x 480, current 800 x 600, maximum 800 x 600

lspci |grep -i vga:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller:  Cirrus Logic GD 5446

Fedora 11 on the same box running in a kvm reports:

Screen 0: minimum 640 x 480, current 1024 x 768, maximum 1024 x 768

lspci |grep -i vga reports the same card as Debian

Fedora 11 is not using an xorg.conf file so I can't compare those to
files, but Debian xorg.conf file is:

   sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Generic Keyboard"
	Driver		"kbd"
	Option		"XkbRules"	"xorg"
	Option		"XkbModel"	"pc104"
	Option		"XkbLayout"	"us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Configured Mouse"
	Driver		"mouse"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Default Screen"
	Monitor		"Configured Monitor"
EndSection

I have moved xorg.conf out of the way and have received the same result
in Debian.

Is this a case where the "new" xorg configuration is wrong?  How do I
get something usable in terms of resolution in a KVM machine using
virt-manager?

--
Damon Chesser <damon@damtek.com>