Re: Anyone has VDPAU working?

Andrei Popescu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to get VDPAU working on my laptop (Dual Core T2330@1.6 GHz,
> nVidia Quadro NVS 140M, 2 GiB RAM) as this would be the only way to
> watch 1080p movies, but no success so far. I tried:
>
> - mplayer from www.debian-multimedia.org (also recompiled)
> - official Debian mplayer
> - compiling latest SVN mplayer
> - compiling mplayer with the script provided by nVidia (which uses a
>   specific rev from SVN)
> - XBMC Live
>
> If anybody has VDPAU working on Debian (not necessarily with mplayer)
> I'd be interested what hardware/software was used.
>
> Regards,
> Andrei

Hi, I am using the latest Nvidia proprietary drivers on a relatively old
and modest Geforce 8600gt, I have vdpau support compiled only for
Mplayer and Mencoder as far as I can tell (debian-multimedia Squeeze).

mplayer -vo help

will tell you what's available.

If I play an h264 video straight with vlc, xine or Mplayer I can see
clearly my cpu going up and down (c2duo 2.7Ghz), very high throughout,
near 100% on one core and 50% on the other. Video is choppy at time if I
use other programs (namely Icedove, Iceweasel with ±10 tabs, Blender).

If I use :

mplayer -vc ffh264vdpau myvideo

cpu usage is very moderate, stays perfectly flat (about 30%, symmetric
on both cores), and still the video plays perfectly, fluid, even KDE4
desktop effects doesn't make it choppy (sending it to another workspace,
semi-transparency behind another window ...).
So I think I can say that vdpau is working here, but even though it's
compiled in Mplayer it's not used if not explicitly asked for. It should
be put first in Mplayer config file.
Available output modules on my system are ffmpeg12vdpau, ffwmv3vdpau,
ffvc1vdpau and ffh264vdpau.

>From mplayer output playing HD 1080 :

[...]
Forced video codec: ffh264vdpau
Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
[VD_FFMPEG] XVMC-accelerated MPEG-2.
Selected video codec: [ffh264vdpau] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg H.264 (VDPAU))
[...skipping audio part]
Starting playback...
[VD_FFMPEG] XVMC-accelerated MPEG-2.
VDec: vo config request - 1920 x 1080 (preferred colorspace: H.264 VDPAU
acceleration)
VDec: using H.264 VDPAU acceleration as output csp (no 0)
Movie-Aspect is undefined - no prescaling applied.
VO: [vdpau] 1920x1080 => 1920x1080 H.264 VDPAU acceleration
[...]

Happy testing.

Tom