Virtualisation / Xen with home-compiled kernel on sid?

Recently I decided to play a bit with MS Windows 7RC on my PC. My main OS at home is Debian sid which I really like and it is a bit bothersome to reboot each time I want to check something on MSWin, I thought about using virtualisation.

First I thought about Xen or KVM. I'm a total novice at these things, so it's difficult to decide. What I want is to preserve the system I use (Debian sid amd64), allow starting another one (in a window ?). Ideally I'd like to have Debian as a default system, possibility to dual-boot Windows (I installed MSWin on another hard drive) and use/run that installed MSWin from Debian. Hope it makes sense.

Yesterday I tried to install Xen, but it didn't work (in the way I expected). I installed xen-tools + some more xen packages. Nothing happened. Then I installed xen hypervisor. Nothing again. Only after I also installed xen kernel / modules it added xen to grub and almost started (almost, as I use nvidia proprietary driver, so X did not start).

When I tried to modify grub's menu.lst to add xen startig my (home-compiled) kernel it did not boot (I've got Panic on CPU0 / Could not set up DOM0 guest OS ) message.

I googled out a number of a bit outdated howtos, some showing how to compile xen 3.0 on etch, some explaining how to install xen packages and use disk image to add another system.

So couple of questions then:
1) Is Xen a way to go?
2) If so, how can I use the existing kernel? Do I need to compile xen too?
3) What to start with?

Help, please!
Kind regards,
Michal