X performance issues

Hi,

I am running a mixture of testing and unstable on my Dell laptop. I even
have some apps from experimental. So far, everything was working fine.

Today's upgrade+update pulled in the new xserver-xorg-core from unstable
and I am seeing a massive performance problem in X. Windows do not get
refreshed properly and the system crawls. A quick glance at top shows X
using up 98% of CPU at times.

I tried downgrading and also tried pulling in the intel driver from
experimental. Nothing helps. I even edited xorg.conf to enable uxa
acceleration; same result.

At present, the info on relevant packages are as follows :

kernel : 2.6.30-1-686

xserver-xorg-core : 1.6.1.901-3

xserver-xorg-video-intel : 2.7.99.901-2

My integrated display card as per lspci is :

00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)

I would like to know whether this is the same issue that hit
ubuntu/jaunty and if so, any fix for it under debian? Have others been
hit by this issue and any pointers in dealing with it would be helpful.

Regards,

--
Sridhar M.A.                                 GPG KeyID : F6A35935
  Fingerprint: D172 22C4 7CDC D9CD 62B5  55C1 2A69 D5D8 F6A3 5935

No, I don't have a drinking problem.

I drink, I get drunk, I fall down.

No problem!