Re: Salvage a dead IO USB device

2009/6/26 Bhasker C V <bhasker@unixindia.com>:
> Hi,
>
>  I think this question has been asked many times but could not google out
> easily on the threads.
>
>  Suppose I have a dead/rejected SCSI USB device how do I reset it so that
> I can use the device name again.
>
>  I use crypto LVM and usually have /dev/mapper/XXX devices which are PVs.
> These are lvchange'd and used. If for some reason my USB device gets
> disconnected, lvm on the other hand has lots of problem re-scanning the PVs
> and pvscan/vgsdcan/lvscan simply fails sometimes. Is it possible
> that I can reset this state so that I can re-connect the USB device and
> it can take the same device name (say sda). What I do not mean by this is I
> do not want to recover any data from the dead device. All I want is
> to use/salvage the dvice names.

The only way I know to fix such issues is to reboot. I would be
surprised if this was the only way to repair such issues in linux land
being that there are usually 20 ways to do the same task and Unix-like
people have such disdain for rebooting! Thinking about it now, I
suppose you might try rmmod the device module. This makes it difficult
if your root (or any other) partition are also using the same driver.

Adrian

--
24x7x365 != 24x7x52 Stupid or bad maths?
apartment it is.