Re: Goodbye debian

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 08:30:33AM +0200, Javier Barroso wrote:
> Hi,
> 2009/6/25 明覺 <shi.minjue@gmail.com>:
> > I do not have time to read your replies about another discussion
> > anymore for they are useless, and I do not feel happy with all you
> > debian guys, so I leave this mailing list, also debian has no
> > attraction to me anymore, I will stop using it from now.
> > As I have decalared, I will build my own OS and applications by a
> > "Only One Programming Lanuguage" way.
> > Good bye! :)
>
> Your original question was about installing debian without perl, it is
> not possible now. If you want to do it, you would have asked in
> debian-devel, because debian users can't do anything with this issue.

Given the ghastliness of maintaining Perl code, rewriting it in
C++ does have a certain attraction.  However, one first has to
understand what the code *does*, and a few thousand lines of
uncommented regular expressions are a fairly impenetrable mess!

I've been maintaining the "sbuild" package in Debian for a few
years now.  It's written in Perl, and is a core part of our
package autobuilding infrastructure, also used by individual
developers for cleanly building packages prior to upload.  I once
had the desire to rewrite it in C++, but even for this one smallish
(but rather complex) program, this is a very time consuming
challenge.

It's taken several *years* of my spare time (I'm a Biologist IRL) to
refactor it do the point where it's mostly understandable and clean,
and this is not even yet complete.  Once this is finally done,
conversion is a remote possibility.  But this will likely never
happen due to the sheer man hours required, as well as the danger of
breaking such a critical tool.  If I was employed full-time to work
on it, it would only be a few months of work, but as it is, I have
my real job to do as well...  When you scale this problem up to all
the *working and tested* tools and programs currently used, one
would soon conclude that the cost/benefit of changing is too high.

Perl certainly has its place for more complex scripts; it's when
it gets to be too large and require long-term maintenence that one
finds it is less than ideal.  What I would give for static analysis
and compile-type type-checking!

Regards,
Roger

--