kernel rebuilds with kernel-package?

Hello debian-users

I have been pondering this for years and haven't found an answer: How
does one re-compile a custom kernel after fixing a bug or adding patch
with kernel-package _without_ rebuilding the whole kernel?

I want to test new kernels every now and then and usually the first
couple of compilation have issues. Fixing these issues wouldn't result in
complete rebuilds if I compile natively, but with kernel_package they
do. I find it easier to work with deb packages than to manually remove
old kernels, modules etc.

Is there some special build target I could use to just try
rebuilding the objects which don't yet exists, e.g. fakeroot
debian/rules kernel_binary_something?

With the official Debian kernel packages I found a rule for rebuilding
the binary package -- though can't remeber which is was atm -- but with
kernel-package I newer found a similar one.

This would save a lot of time for me, thanks.

-Mikko