Re: Lenny does not recognise blank CD; Etch does.

On Tue, 2009-06-23 at 07:35 +0200, Frank Lin PIAT wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-06-22 at 16:49 +1200, Bruce Ward wrote:

> > > Actually, nautilus-cd-burner's README.Debian states:
> > >
> > >  "This code detects available CD writers by examining files in /proc.
> > >   It will try /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info which is created by the 'cdrom'
> > >   module, and /proc/scsi/sg/devices which is created by the 'sg'
> > >   module.  One of these modules must be loaded for nautilus-cd-burner
> > >   to work."
> > I'm running standard Debian  2.6.26-1-686 kernel. Neither installation
> > has sg devices; both have /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info listing both hdd and
> > hdc. The only difference between them is that the etch one thinks that
> > hdd:
> >   Can read MRW:			1
> >   Can write MRW:		1
> >   Can write RAM:		1
>
> That's odd.
> Check if upstream program has it's own mailing list, or file a bug.
>
> Regards,
>
> Franklin

Many thanks for your time and patience, Franklin.

You are right, a difference in the cdrom/info file is odd, or would be
if it was true - looks like I led you astray there, as both versions
of /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info are saying the same thing.

However, the other things I have found that might be useful, are that
the Lenny kernel does not detect the new media when I insert a blank,
but Etch puts in /var/log/messages:
  samarkand kernel: cdrom: This disc doesn't have any tracks I
recognize!

A problem in cdrom or ide_cd_mod modules?

Although there is no Lenny kernel message, hal-find-by-capability does
know there is some new medium:
  storage.removable.media_available = true  (bool)

Also the drive light stays on when blank media is present.

Another difference between the two, but one which seems unlikely to be
significant, is that the lshal program finds them in different orders
i.e. Etch finds DVD-RW first, Lenny finds CD-RW first. This is also true
for 'hal-find-by-capability --capability storage.cdrom'.

Regards, Bruce