Re: java

Jan Willem Stumpel wrote:
> I just want to install a Java runtime environment which will allow
> me to see Java applets in action. It seems I have the choice of
> (at least)
>
> default-jre
> gcj-4.4-jre
> gcj-jre
> icedtea-6-jre-cacao
> openoffice.org (includes its own jre, apparently)
> openjdk-6-jre (required by Azureus/Vuze; it does not seem to
> accept other Javas)
> sun-java5-jre
> sun-java6-jre
>
> Today I did another attempt: rigorously dpkg --purge'd any trace
> of any other jre than openjdk-6-jre. It does not have a mozilla
> plugin, but "suggests" installing icedtea6-plugin and
> sun-java6-fonts. But then sun-java6-fonts wants to install
> sun-java6-bin and sun-java6-jre, and "suggests" sun-java6-plugin
> and ia32-sun-java6-plugin. And the icedtea6-plugin does not work...
>
> This is dependency hell. Does anybody know of a decent tutorial
> for setting up jre, any jre, on Debian? With only one boundary
> condition: it should work. I haven't been able to see applets
> working for about half a year now.

If you do not have any restrictions regarding the use of Sun's Java,
just install it's plugin: sun-java6-plugin. It's the one that will give
the best compatibility anyway.

--
A national debt, if it is not excessive, will be to us a national blessing.
		-- Alexander Hamilton

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br