Re: Testing update broke gnome/metacity and network-manager

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 8:03 AM, Matteo Riva <muradin@gmail.com> wrote:

> Regarding network-manager, after some investigation I found out that
> network-manager-gnome was removed because it is now marked as conflicting
> with gnome-network-admin.  However, I can't seem to remove
> gnome-network-admin as gnome core packages depend on it.  I'm not sure
> how necessary the gnome frontend to n-m was to my setup as I still
> didn't figure how to manually connect my wireless.

Once n-w-gnome was removed, network-manager itself became
"unnecessary".  You can probably reinstall network-manager, but you
won't have the gnome piece to manage it.  You'll probably still
automatically connect to your wireless network, though.

I had the same issue yesterday, but caught it, and put
gnome-system-tools and gnome-network admin on hold, and kept
n-m-gnome, etc.  Although I usually use Update Manager, whenever it
tells me it needs to do a "Smart Upgrade", I close it and proceed with
aptitude, because sometimes the "smart" upgrade isn't so smart, and
aptitude always tells me exactly what's going on.

Patrick