Unable to install and .DEB files after installing Gdebi

Good afternoon,

Just installed Debian Squeeze with Xfce 4.6.1 and for the most part everything's working quite well. However, there is one remaining problem. It seems that with this version I had to install Gdebi to be able to install any .DEB based files. Once this was done I then proceeded to install a certain .DEB file. Window comes up and I click install and it seems to go through the motions then .... nothing at all. Checking to determine if it installs shows a no go. At this point I'm a bit miffed about it but perhaps there is something I might need to install or perhaps there's a work-around for this? I do recall that it also happened with Lenny Xfce install. Any guidance would certainly be most helpful!

Regards.

--
It is very important to generate a good attitude, a good heart, as
much as possible. From this, happiness in both the short term and

     - Dalai Lama