Re: Application/octet stream

Hi,

On Sat, 2009-06-20 at 09:22 -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
> A friend sent me an email with an attachment I can't view - probably
> some Windoze format.  Iceape says it is a type application/octet stream.

application/octet-stream is a generic mime type which means "The content
is something I don't recognize, but it isn't text based".

The mime type reported by Iceape is the mime type the sender's MUA set
(if iceape behaves like most MUAs).

You might want to save the document, then "right click" on it to get the
properties and/or open it.

If you run a freedesktop compatible Desktop environnement (Gnome, KDE),
and if the content still isn't recognized, it probably means that it's a
weird format that is probably unsupported :( If you are pretty sure it's
a picture, you can try to open it with gimp, or use Imagemagick's
"identify" command.

Hope this helps,

Franklin