Re: MAKEDEV, udev and /dev/hwrng

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 17:57:44 +0800, Jerome BENOIT wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> when I want to create the /dev/hwrng with MAKEDEV, I get the message:
>
> .udevdb or .udev presence implies active udev.  Aborting MAKEDEV invocation.
>
> So I suppose that I have to play wiht udev instead:
> how can we create /dev/hwrng when udev is present ?

If you have a hardware random number generator that is supported by your
kernel then then udev should create the device node automatically as
soon as the relevant kernel module is loaded. If you do not have a
supported HW RNG then it is pointless to generate /dev/hwrng. (The
device nodes for the software entropy mechanism of the kernel are
/dev/random and /dev/urandom.)

          Florian   |