Re: Question aout email, icedove/thunderbird

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 12:34 PM, Paul E Condon
<pecondon@mesanetworks.net> wrote:

> I'm learning to use icedove after a long and happy relationship with mutt. I remember having this question from before I knew about mutt and it still puzzles me: Why the checkbox labeled "Always check to see if icedove is the default mail client on startup"
>
> How does icedove/thunderbird behavior differ if it finds it is NOT the default or it finds is IS the default? Is there some reason why it matters to me which way I have this, checked or unchecked? I can't find
> any explanation of what this is, other than the tautological "Tell icedove if it is you default mail client." Where have I set my default main client?
>
> TIA

I believe it matters more in Windows or OS X environments than in *nix
environments.  Basically, if you have the box ticked, and
Icedove/Thunderbird determines it is not your default email client,
you will get a notification pop-up alerting you to the fact that
Icedove is not your default client and it will offer to change your
settings to make it your default.  You can accept or decline the
offer.  If you decline, nothing happens.  If you accept, Icedove tries
to change your settings so that it is your default.  That's it.

Generally, your defaults are set by your desktop environment, so where
you've set that depends upon what desktop environment you're using.
If you aren't using a desktop environment, you don't have any
defaults, except as set with update-alternatives.  I don't think
Icedove can change that setting, because that setting can only be
changed by root or via sudo.  I suspect, if you are running Icedove
without using a desktop environment, that the check box will have no
effect at all.  But I could be wrong about that.

The only reason it might matter to you is so you can control what
happens when you click on a mailto: link, say in a browser, or what
you want to happen when you try to send an email.  For example, if you
use Gnome-Do, you can just activate it (Super+Spacebar, by default)
and start typing the name of the person you want to email, assuming
that person is in your address book.  Gnome-Do will then launch your
default email client, with a compose window addressed to your intended
recipient, so you can compose the message.  Obviously, it would be
convenient in this scenario if your default email client is actually
the email client you want to use.  :-)

Other than that, it doesn't really matter.

Michael M.

--
"Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within
limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add