Re: exim4 query

In <[🔎] 20090617215741.GA6937@blitz.hooton>, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
>On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 10:52:18AM -0500, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>> In <[🔎] 3df35b760906170818re166e28x84444be9006d741e@mail.gmail.com>, Yuriy
>> Kuznetsov wrote:
>> >Could you give some commands as examples of sending emails with exim4,
>> >please?
>> printf 'dot-stuffed-Headers\n\ndot-stuffed-Body of message' | \
>> 	/usr/sbin/sendmail

Oh, you'll want to list recipients on the sendmail command-line.  I forgot
that.

>This may be what he meant, but isn't that for which he asked.

The one I left quoted is.  /usr/sbin/sendmail is a symlink to exim4 when you
have exim4 installed.  I guess I could have made that clearer by saying:

printf 'Headers\n\nBody' | /usr/sbin/exim4 -i 'recipient#1' 'recipient#2'

>To answer Yuriy's question, I don't know enough SMTP to be able to talk
>to exim directly to send a mail with exim4.

You don't have to.  exim4 acts as a sendmail replacement, so it will accept
emails on stdin.  (This will also bypass certain SMTP-only ACLs.)

>mailx works well for scripts or short emails from the command line.  For
>normal everyday use, install mutt.

That's certainly not what he asked, but I agree.