Re: 'Applications, Accessories, Root Terminal' fails silently

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 09:36:34AM -0400, Patrick Wiseman <pwiseman@gmail.com> was heard to say:
> On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 9:11 AM, Matus UHLAR -
> fantomas<uhlar@fantomas.sk> wrote:
> > why do you want to sun gnome-terminal under sudo, instead of running su/sudo
> > in gnome terminal?
>
> Doing the former allows me to open new tabs as root, doing the latter
> (with 'su') requires that I provide my root password every time; using
> 'sudo' requires that I provide 'sudo command' every time.  It's just a
> lot less convenient, but still doable, which is why the security
> excuse is BS.  It's yet another example of sacrificing function to
> fear.

  It looks like you can create a profile for gnome-terminal that tells
it to launch a custom command instead of your login shell (say,
"sudo bash").  I don't know if you can tell gnome-terminal that all
the tabs in a window should get a particular profile, but it might be
worth exploring.

  Daniel