Re: 30 Minutes (system time/ntpdate/dovecot)

On Monday 15 June 2009 08:20:23 debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org
wrote:
> > Even more. I get a bootup error message failing to set date (and time)
> > to ... the following day + 3 hours!!
>
> You may have a bad system clock. That does happen on some older
> hardware or if a CMOS battery goes bad. I'd do the following:
>
>     - Make sure you're calling "hwlock --systohc --localtime" at some
>       point when your time has been correctly set.
This is ostensibly being done unless an error is being made in
/etc/init.d/hwclock.sh.
If this is the error, howclockfirst.sh is trying to read a one day + three
hours locatime date. This ostensiblty fails (it takes the time, not the date).

>     - Make sure /etc/default/ntp contains "NTPD_OPTS='-g'" so that you
>       can handle large clock offsets.
No such option available in my ntpdate installation.

> If that still doesn't really resolve your problem, then you might want
> to try chrony instead, which assumes that your clock has a stable drift
> rate that can be compensated for. NTP is certainly better for accuracy,
> but chrony is a little more tolerant of clock issues as far as I can
> tell.
It would seem that a bad battery would be a slow clock, drifting somewhat
consistantly slower. Had that once. The consistancy of the problem plus the
fact of three hours implies the first option. May I should back up the script
and then hard code it to --localtime?