Re: IRC - A beginners tutorial can be fun too :-)

Suno Ano wrote:
Hi folks,

in the past it happened more and more often that I had been asked by
people if I could show/help them with joining an IRC network. Those
folks are, or shall I say, have been mostly ordinary Windows users
(think of retired Uncle Bob).

After I educated person #8 on the fine arts of IRC, I thought to myself,
that ain't going to scale if we continue down this road sir... I decided
to write a fool-proof tutorial an point folks to it from now on

http://sunoano.name/ws/public_xhtml/misc.html#irc_with_pidgin

Pidgin has got to be about the worst tool for accessing IRC.
(I do use it for MSN, Yahoo! Messenger and Google Talk).
I use IRSSI, myself, but, for the clueless n00b, I would recommend a tool like konversation, kirsc, xchat, or, even, seamonkey-irc (shame we don't have seamonkey in our repos. I used it on PCLOS and Ubuntu for my browser and e-mail. Faster than FF and TB).

/tony

--
http://www.baldwinsoftware.com
free/open source software