Re: Paternalistic D-Bus Restrictions (was Re: 'Applications, Accessories, Root Terminal' fails silently)

On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 10:27:56AM -0400, Patrick Wiseman wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 8:16 AM, Patrick Wiseman<pwiseman@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> How do you know that? I thought gksu was used for that. Try:
> >> gksu gnome-terminal
> > ** (gnome-terminal:14228): WARNING **: Failed to connect to the
> > session manager: Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the
> > authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based
> > authentication failed
> >
> > Failed to contact the GConf daemon; exiting.
> >
> > Which, I suppose, is slightly more informative.  But the fact remains
> > that Root Terminal in the Accessories menu is, for some reason,
> > disabled.  (This is on a fully up-to-date, amd64, testing system.)
>
> Further Googling informs me that "the result [of Gconf using D-Bus] is
> that root applications can’t use the user’s GConf settings anymore.
> This is a design restriction in D-Bus."
> [http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=518390]  Well,
> that's just stupid, especially for experienced users like myself; I
> NEED to be able to use gnome-terminal as root.  I don't want a hackish
> workaround, I just want it to work as it always has.  Is there ANY way
> to make D-Bus less restrictive?

Well, does this problem happens if user uses sudo mode for gksu.

Application-> System Tools-> Configuration Editor:
/apps/gksu/sudo-mode

Also question is what happens if you enter followings in terminal.

 $ su -c   gnome-terminal
 $ sudo    gnome-terminal
 $ sudo -H gnome-terminal

(I think we do not need gconf settings for root.  If one of above works,
gnome just need to change default mode for gksu.)

Osamu