Re: 'Applications, Accessories, Root Terminal' fails silently

Patrick Wiseman ha scritto:
Running 'sudo gnome-terminal' (which is the equivalent) reports
'Failed to contact the GConf daemon; exiting.'  How do I fix this?  Is
it some idiotic "security feature"?  (I get really steamed when fear
overrides function!)

Patrick

Workaround: launch a terminal and sudo $favorite_shell
(possibly with a keyboard shortcut)
As for your solution not working: my *guess* is that to launch a gnome-terminal you need some per-user helper program (gconf) which cannot be run because root has no X session open - and that's a good thing(tm), beause you don't want anyone else but you to be able to create/close/modify windows or any other gui object on your screen.
But then again - it's just my guess.