where does gnome store its sound files on debian?

When I installed the gnome-audio package it put all sound files into /usr/share/sounds. Gnome does not find them in that location. I read in the README file in gnome-audio that there is supposed to be some path prefix/gnome/share where those sound files can be installed. So far as I've been able to find out though I haven't yet found that directory on this system. Alternatively, is there a way to tell gnome to look for its sound files in /usr/share/sounds?