Re: OT: how to send a key code to a running process?

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 9:45 AM, Sthu Deus<sthu.deus@gmail.com> wrote:
> Good day.
>
> How I can send a space key code to a running process by running a simple
> program? - I need this for mplayer to pause/continue. For now I have to refer
> to the console it is running in, but I want to use hot-keys - that will run a
> simple command that will send the signal to mplayer.

If you're not wedded to mplayer, you might consider other players as well.

I used to use xmms all of the time (and since, I've not found one
that's worked as well).

These days I use totem and I have FVWM bind keystrokes to:
Key     P       A       CM      Exec totem --play-pause &
Key     Right   A       CM      Exec totem --next &
Key     Left    A       CM      Exec totem --previous &
Key     Right   A       SM      Exec totem --seek-fwd &
Key     Left    A       SM      Exec totem --seek-bwd &

Many other GUI players offer something similar.

With the links that David posted, you have to remember to launch
mplayer with the right flags.  Maybe that can be configured to do that
all of the time?  (I've not actually tried... will have to now
actually).

mrc