Lenny and Vietnamese input

Dear All,

  I've just swapped from using FreeBSD (6.4) to Debian (Lenny) and I'm
having trouble getting my Vietnamese keyboard to work.  I use xvnkb
and have installed it after some hassles.  For example, the core
(xvnkb.so.0.2.9) is installed into /usr/lib, but the startup script
seems to want it in /usr/local/lib - some soft links fixed this.
Also, this library must be preloaded, but I use kdm so, where to put
the LD_PRELOAD definition?  I've put it into my own .xinitrc after
much experimentation.  Now xvnkb is loaded and the gui is active:

debian [21:39] ~>ps -ef | grep vn
rob       3460     1  7 20:31 pts/0    00:04:58 xvnkb

(running under my own user ID, not as root).  This was started by:

debian [21:41] ~>xvnkb &

However, only the gui is active.  I can select my desired input method
(VIQR) and output (UTF-8), turn input recognition off, exit the
program, etc, etc, but nothing happens when I type.  The keyboard is
totally ignored.  My locale is:

debian [21:43] ~>echo $LANG
en_AU.UTF-8

(English, Australia) and has been configured correctly (I hope).  Does
anyone have any experience in this area?  Thanks very much for any
help.  The system is:

debian [21:44] ~>uname -a
Linux debian 2.6.26-2-686 #1 SMP Thu May 28 15:39:35 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

Thank you,

Rob Hurle
--
Rob Hurle