Re: [OT] SQL Syntax Error '????????????????'

On 10 Jun 2009, at 23:32, "s. keeling" <keeling@nucleus.com> wrote:

Harry Rickards <hrickards@l33tmyst.com>:

I know this is off-topic, but I don't really want to have to subscribe to or constantly read the MySQL mailing lists, and the IRC channel's no
help.

Search the archives:

 groups.google.com "comp.databases.mysql"  # guessing.

However, I think your problem more relates to java than sql.

I'll have a look, but I'd have thought if it was in there Google would have come up with it.

I've written some sample code in Java that connects to localhost using
the MySQL JDBC. I've tried multiple variations of the code, but even
when using the proper code from MySQL's website, I get the following error:

SQLException: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual
that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to
use near '????????????????' at line 1
SQLState: 42000
VendorError: 1064

Does your query run in a commandline session with the db?

All it does is connect, there's no query.