Re: split root logical volume to var tmp home etc

In <[🔎] 20090610214449.GA11322@m364d1.ece.northwestern.edu>, Zhengquan Zhang
wrote:
>If I use a system rescue disk and do this with out the rsync command.
>
>mount /dev/debian/var /var
>
>the device /dev/debian/var is still empty and so we need the rsync step,
>is it correct?

After running the mount command above, if you haven't put any data on your
new file system, /var will be empty.  You will be unable to access the /var
part of the old file system since it will be hidden my the new mount.  So,
you'd have to unmount it before running any useful rsync.