Re: Why does a webcam MT6225 not work with Debian?

Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a Webcam MT6225 which woks with ReHat, Fedora and  SuSE  but  not
> with Debian, even if it is detected through v4l.
>
>     Bus 001 Device 017: ID 0e8d:0004 MediaTek Inc.
>
> and VLC/Ekiga identified it as MT6225.
>
> Any suggestions WHY it does not work?
>
> Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
>     Michelle Konzack
>     Systemadministrator
>     25.9V Electronic Engineer
>     Tamay Dogan Network
>     Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

Hi,

given the usb ID the camera should work with uvcvideo, included in
kernels newer than 2.6.26 (external module before that), you can see the
list of compatible devices here http://linux-uvc.berlios.de/ .

The latest sources repository (mercurial) is hosted there :
http://linuxtv.org/hg/~pinchartl/uvcvideo/

with a wiki if v4l compilation is required too
http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_Obtain,_Build_and_Install_V4L-DVB_Device_Drivers

But that's a pain in the neck, fortunately not necessary with recent
kernels.

I also found a thread speaking of connect/disconnect cycles with such a
camera on uvcvideo mailing list :

http://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/linux-uvc-devel/2008-October/004084.html

Maybe you've just hit a bad uvcvideo version on Debian.

Tom