Re: Nmap shows port 21 is open with no ftp daemon installed.

On Mon, 2009-06-08 at 16:23 +0800, Rod James Bio wrote:
> Hi, I've been wondering about my friends case. Seems that when he
> nmapped his machine port 21 is open, but there is no ftp daemon
> installed. He tried
> "lsof -i :21"
> but it did not return anything. He also tried
> "netstat -an | grep 21"
> also nothing.
> So he asked other people and they told him that his machine was hacked.
> The lsof and netstat was modified. The port 21 was a backdoor placed by
> the hacker. Now I am not really contented with this answers. Any
> suggestions?

I wouldn't discount that possibility, but 2 thoughts come to mind:

netstat -lnpt (as root) will give far less redundant info - just what is
listening on tcp ports, including process names - so it's easier to
search through.

Was the nmap run directly on hte same network as the machine in
question? Not through a router, cable modem, or other device that could
have been getting in the way?

Oh, and some others ..

Perhaps running tcpdump on the machine while connecting to it (with nmap
or whatever) will show whether the traffic is actually getting to the
machine?

Oh - and you could try copying on a netstat and/or lsof binary, from
another machine (of the same architecture).

Richard