Re: squeeze grep status

On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 9:32 AM, Jude DaShiell<jdashiel@shellworld.net> wrote:
> Apparently argument list too long is an operating system error.  I made it
> happen with ed too.  I can divide and conquer though by limiting argument
> lists with regular expressions in this case.

That's always an option, or you could use xargs.

Argument list too long is utlimately a kernel limitation. Your example
worked on my ubuntu system - but there are 8400 some odd files in that
directory, and that's a pretty big argument list. Historically, the
linux kernels have been compiled with a fairly large size for the
command line - usually on the order of 128K or so, which should be
ample.

I thought it might be shell-dependent, but it isn't (ubuntu default
shell seems to be "dash" but executing the command under bash resulted
in the same output.)

Evidently, the kernel that's in Jaunty must be compiled with a higher
limit for this buffer than the one in Debian squeeze.