Re: What to do with "bugs forever" ?

On Sat, 2009-06-06 at 17:06 +0200, Debian wrote:

> here are two bugs that exists for years and where no solution is in sight:

> and
>
> What can be done with such problems that will be not solved and are ONLY existing
> in Debian?

What's the purpose of this emails? Upset someone? Actually help
debugging the problem?

* Did you try to diagnose why/when it happen?
* Did you try a new version of the various software involved?
* Did you try with upstream version?
 - Did you actually tried to reproduce this bug on another OS? (And
   tried to understand what the difference between the two OS?)
  or
 - Did you ensure the bug was opened upstream [if you can reproduce it
   with upstream's version]?

> Here the process of maintainers and bug reports is not working. :-(

The process is the same everywhere:
- Diagnose the bug (Find which softwares are involved, why, when...)
- Find a solution ( = Write one or more patches)
- Test the patchs.
- Submit the patch to the maintainer (to upstream)
It takes time, effort, and user contribution.

*YOU* can help fixing the bug. (or you can pay someone to fix it).

Thank you for reporting bugs.

Franklin

FYI
  The company I am working for is paying an awful lot of money to
  get support from various software vendors.
  And guess what, we have lots of bugs that are unsolved (not to
  mention the bugs that are "behavior by design", "unsupported
  tools" [that are only available for those who pay for the support,
  lol], or "fixed in new release" but we can't backport the patch
  because it isn't open-source).