aptitude logging question

Is it possible just using aptitude to log what happens as a result of system upgrades and package installations? I had a situation with x11-common and xserver-xorg where --print-installation-architecture had been used. I'm wondering if I had configured aptitude correctly aptitude could have left me a file with the package names along with warnings and errors in it so that if there were more than just those two packages this had happened to I could fix all of them just using that log. Of course a log like that would be dangerous if dpkg ever went into one of its fatal error loops and filled up the disk space. In the event debian got say /tmp filled to maximum and the computer was rebooted to bring debian up again, would debian be able to come up running?